[HECnet] Use of Area 63 for Testing

Mark J. Blair nf6x at nf6x.net
Tue Apr 6 13:23:52 PDT 2021

MIM::DECNET.TXT states that area 63 is "Reserved for hidden area testing". Is area 63 routing suppressed by PyDECnet and/or any other methods of connecting to HECnet? If one were to play around with local nodes in area 63 without remembering to bring down the upstream HECnet connection, what would happen?

I am interested in creating some useful semi-turnkey SIMH VAX instances to share with friends who are interested in playing with VAXen and/or connecting to HECnet, but are hesitant because of the learning curve involved. I figured it might be desirable to set up the simulations to use nodes in area 63 by default. I'll naturally want to test out intercommunication with my other simulations and real VAXen, and I'd like to understand whether I need to shut down my PyDECnet connection to HECnet while I am doing that.

--
Mark J. Blair, NF6X <nf6x at nf6x.net>
https://www.nf6x.net/