[HECnet] Use of Area 63 for Testing

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Apr 6 18:17:32 PDT 2021

Hi, all.

First of all, to comment on the OP. Area 63 has indeed been reserved for
people interested in doing hidden areas, like DEC did. I also do not
remember much detail right now, but others asked for it, and I saw no
problem in reserving one area for it. Others might even be using this,
based on comments here.

When it comes to PMR and PASSTHRU, I might have some stuff for RSX that
could answer some questions, but I would have to dig through things...
Not sure if there is enough interest for any digging around right now.

Finally, when it comes to duplicate addresses, the most obvious
casualties are always the two nodes where the duplication actually
happens. If they are just endnodes, the damage always stops there. While
this is maybe not a good state, it at least is containable. But make
sure people do not get creative and just start changing to arbitrary
other addresses, or we are going to need to take more drastic action.

I can understand the desire to make it easier for people with little
understanding to hook up, there is a risk that if you don't know what
you are doing, you create problems for others that you don't even
understand. I would really recommend that we don't make it *too* easy
for people to hook up. I don't want to hold hands for people who have no
idea what they are doing, just to prevent chaos on HECnet.

Finally, if you setup nodes that are not endnodes, the responsibilities
grow. Especially if you are in an area where others are also active,
since any kind of router can potentially wreck havoc in an area, or
possible even with the inter-area routing.
So for those, I would even more suggest that you do not set anything
like that up for someone who don't know what they are doing.

Now, these comments are not really targeted at anyone in particular, but
something for everyone to be aware of, and consider, when you hook up
others. HECnet is rather distributed, really. I do manage the area
allocation, and area 1. But when I hand out an area to someone, then
everything about that area becomes that persons responsibility. So
adding new people, new nodes, new links, or whatever, is totally up to
them. I can certainly offer a bit of support, but the "owner" of an area
is really the deciding person on what happens in that area. If the owner
sub-let part of the area to someone else, I think it still makes sense
to consult with that area owner, if you further sub-let, or hook others
up, since this definitely can have an impact on the area.

Think about it. We should all try to be good neighbors. DECnet, while
ok, isn't at the robustness level, or security (well there are none) of
modern internets.

   Johnny