[HECnet] PyDECnet

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Apr 16 13:17:14 PDT 2021

On 2021-04-16 19:19, Paul Koning wrote:

>> On Apr 16, 2021, at 10:00 AM, Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>> On Apr 16, 2021, at 9:41 AM, Keith Halewood <Keith.Halewood at pitbulluk.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> A general point about pyDECnet usage. I leave the default 'Identification' string alone so that anybody interested can discover the version of pydecnet being used (SHOW EXEC CHAR). I have noticed that others tend to personalise the string, often removing that version number. Would it be possible to append your personalisation to the version rather than replace it? From a trouble-shooting point of view, knowing that two routers connected by a circuit are either same version or vastly different often helps.
>>>
>>> Just a thought.
>>>
>>> Keith
>>
>> Interesting idea.  Strictly speaking, that string is rather short, though some other DECnet implementations send oversized values.
>>
>> Another option would be to have the version information be a separate read-only parameter, that would be easy.
>
> Done.  It turns out a suitable parameter already exists in the standard, parameter 126, "Software identification".  As of rev 583 that will report the PyDECnet version number.

Way cool. And RSX even supports it. That was nice!

.ncp tell python sho exec cha

Node characteristics as of 16-APR-21 22:14:59

Executor node = 41.1 (PYTHON)

    Identification = DECnet/Python, New Boston, NH, USA, Management
version = 4.0.0
    Software identification = DECnet/Python V1.0-583, Incoming timer = 30
    Outgoing timer = 30, NSP version = 4.0.0
    Maximum links = 4095, Delay factor = 32
    Delay weight = 3
    Inactivity timer = 300, Retransmit factor = 5
    Routing version = 2.0.0, Type = Area
    Maximum area = 63, Area maximum cost = 128
    Area maximum hops = 16
    Segment buffer size = 576