[HECnet] VAX-11/725 with RC25 (was: Re: Reading RT11 files under Windows or Linux)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Apr 21 13:25:55 PDT 2021

On 4/21/21 4:05 PM, Mark J. Blair wrote:

>>> I do not have one yet, but I would be interested in buying a VAX-11/725 if one came along at the right price and location. I'm in Riverside, California, USA. I keep hearing so much ire directed towards the RC25, that I have a sick fascination with experiencing one for myself, and seeing just how much slower it feels vs. my 11/730.
>>
>>  The VAX itself won't feel any slower; it's the same board set as the
>> 11/730.
>
> For CPU-heavy stuff, but isn't the RC25 subsystem a lot slower than the RL02+R80 subsystem? See, I need a VAX-11/725 so I can be an expert on this stuff! :)

  Excellent acquisition rationalization. ;)  But yeah, the RC25 is
noticeably slower than the (already pretty slow) IDC controller that
handles the R80 and RL02 in an 11/730.  (I had an 11/725+RC25 many years
ago, and a standard-config 11/730)  I was just thinking CPU differences,
of which there are none.  Context fail. ;)