[HECnet] Younger generations

Matt Patoray mspproductions at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 16:25:44 PDT 2021

We do need to pass the knowledge we have all accumulated on, or things will die, and it’s not just software it’s hardware as well, how to use, maintain and troubleshoot it.

I work in audio/video preservation as a video engineer, we get resumes all the time where students from the local college tell us about their editing skills for making TicTok videos or YouTube videos.
But very few have ever seen a Sony Digital Betacam deck let alone opened one up to clean the tape path, and a 1” BVH-2000 machine blows their mind, and when I tell someone the Ampex AVR-2 quad machine needs compressed air to run they short circuit like a fembot in Austin Powers.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone