[HECnet] Younger generations

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 07:58:09 PDT 2021

Could you elaborate on this?  I was unaware of any such competition
(which, of course, means absolutely nothing).  I had been looking at the
new 8 GB Raspberry PI model, which I believe would be a better fit for
installations that aggressively leverage extended mode (a number of my
rewrites do).  It would also run a possible extended-extended KLH (+22
bits) that I have been investigating.

What is it about the Pi (or the OS running on it) that precludes KLH10?
I have KLH10 running on an old version of CentOS (6.4) in a 32 bit
compile.  I also have it running on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS in a 64 bit
compile.  I had to do some tweaking to get it the build nicely (I.E., to
eliminate a lot of compiler whining).

I have been working PANDA for a very long time; MRC took all of my
patches while he was alive, but obviously that isn't happening any more.

A few things off the top of my head.  DECnet won't work very well out of
the box for a number of reasons, and depending on the speed of the Pi
SSD, a bug can get tickled that will hang Tops-20.  The directions for
setting up DECnet under HECnet need to get written.  For example, as far
as I am aware, no Tops-20 hosts except mine are doing regular host
updates.  The DECnet version of SMTP is broken.  Multi-forking FAL is
not debuggable.  Anonymous FAL is access not supported.

DECnet itself won't work because osdnet.c doesn't set some things
properly (like AllMulti), but there are other problems as well.

It /really/ makes your life easier to have a separate Ethernet adapter
dedicated to KLH10.  DECnet would be possible, but difficult without it,
but other things are easier, too.  I did a shared adapter for a month or
so back in 2002 and got a 2nd adapter shortly afterwards.  That was
years before I had even heard of HECnet.