[HECnet] Oldest VAX/VMS for VAX-11/730 on HECNET

Tony Nicholson tony.nicholson at computer.org
Wed Dec 8 16:56:47 PST 2021

On Thu, Dec 9, 2021 at 11:32 AM Mark J. Blair <nf6x at nf6x.net> wrote:

> > On Dec 8, 2021, at 4:00 PM, Tony Nicholson <tony.nicholson at computer.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > The VAX/VMS DECnet license "key" for old versions (V4.7 and prior) came
> in the form of a saveset (on a TK50 or magtap) that you installed.  It did
> a binary patch on the NETACP.EXE image to enable things. There are separate
> versions for routing and end-node configurations.
>
> Ah, thank you. I was wondering how that worked.
>
> > The thing that bothers me running old versions of VAX/VMS is the lack of
> Y2K updates.  You will probably need to boot with a date last century
> (subtract 28 years to get matching calendar days) to avoid some gotchas.
> For VAX/VMS V3.0 there may have been some mandatory upgrade patches too.
>
> When I installed 3.0 on an emulation, it decided that it must be 1982. Do
> you know what the earliest versions with y2k support would be?

Te old VAX-11/780 TOY clock didn't store the year.  Instead it was stored
and loaded from the system disk file system (one of the files in [000000] -
I can't remember the exact details).  Every year in January we had to do a
"SET TIME" command to update it.

The Y2K update kits supported V5.5-2 and later.

The patches I have for VAX/VMS V5.5-2 (including the Y2K ones) are on my
Google Drive at

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oZpat-XT8ZXXaInyg69QLVICrMZK4Nkq/view?usp=sharing

While I'm sharing,  the OpenVMS VAX V6.2 ones are at

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cCNtAZRXX7PKt65bgvYUyicQcQdhJyhy/view?usp=sharing

and the VAX/VMS V4.7 mandatory updates 020 and 030 are at

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8ua4QU-3W8kLTBLaVpZbml6N0U/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-6s-br6cULsMqP1mZikkqxg

Tony

PS:  It might pay to look amongst old VAX/VMS RX01 8" floppy images for the
V3.0 DECnet "key" too.  A brain cell fired that this was the update media
too back-in-the-day.  My exposure to VAX/VMS started around the 1982
timeframe (on 11/780s and 11/750s).