[HECnet] Oldest VAX/VMS for VAX-11/730 on HECNET

Robert Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Thu Dec 9 09:32:34 PST 2021

>Mark J. Blair [nf6x at nf6x.net] wrote:
>If I can get a 3.x release running on HECNET, that would be neat.

  You know VMS 3.x is really kind of primitive.  For one thing, it doesn't
have long file names - only 6.3 names, like RSX.  I can remember working at
DEC and anxiously awaiting the 4.x release just for the long file names
alone.  There were lots of other limitations in 3.x too that I can't
remember at the moment.  FWIW, I have a real 730 here and I run 4.6 for just
that reason.

  Of course this is not a reason not to do it, but something to keep in
mind.

Bob