[HECnet] Oldest VAX/VMS for VAX-11/730 on HECNET

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Thu Dec 9 11:00:32 PST 2021

> On Dec 9, 2021, at 12:32 PM, Robert Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:
>
>> Mark J. Blair [nf6x at nf6x.net] wrote:
>> If I can get a 3.x release running on HECNET, that would be neat.
>
>  You know VMS 3.x is really kind of primitive.  For one thing, it doesn't
> have long file names - only 6.3 names, like RSX.

9.3 names -- RSX always had 9 character names; the 6 char limit appears in other operating systems like DOS11, RT11, and RSTS, also earlier in TOPS-10.

BTW, the original request asks for the oldest VMS for a 730 on HECnet, and mentions Phase IV.  That's certainly friendliest and it is of course required if you want to connect by Ethernet.  But Phase III can also be used, and Phase II provided you have either a Phase III or a PyDECnet neighbor to connect it to.

	paul