[HECnet] Connecting an HP Itanium BL860c to HECNET... without ethernet

cyb 2600 cyb2600 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 11:32:03 PST 2021

Hello,

A little while ago I purchased an HP BL860c server blade. It has an Itanium
2 CPU and I was able to install OpenVMS 8.4 on it. However I do NOT have a
HP Bladesystem chassis to put the blade in, meaning I can only connect to
it via the SUV console cable which provides usb, serial, and VGA. There's
no way to get ethernet out of the thing without plugging it into a rather
gigantic Bladesystem chassis that I don't have. If it was an x64 based
blade running windows I could just use a USB->Ethernet adapter but of
course those things don't have OpenVMS drivers.

Given ethernet's not an option, would there be any way to tunnel DECNET
over the serial port? It seems like that was possible on VAXen and maybe
even Alphas but I've no mention of doing it on an Itanium. Or if anybody
else has any ideas of how I could network this thing I would appreciate it.

Chris