[HECnet] Connecting an HP Itanium BL860c to HECNET... without ethernet

cyb 2600 cyb2600 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 07:01:41 PST 2021

The GBX connectors are 100 pin (I think?) sockets that connect it to the
bladesystem chassis. The blade actually does have 4 NICs built into it but
the output is serdes encoded. The serial output channels go out the GBX
connectors which go to the bladesystem controller, which decodes them and
sends them to actual Ethernet ports.

The iLo Ethernet isn’t serdes,  you can actually wire it straight to an
RJ45 connector. I don’t think you can use it from within OpenVMS though, at
least you shouldn’t be able to.

$60 included one dual core CPU and that’s it. I got the 10k SAS hard
drives, registered RAM, power supply, and some fans for cooling from an old
HP Proliant server from the same era. Even with the fans I can’t run it
with the lid on, it overheats in 10 minutes.  I was able to install OpenVMS
by DDing the iso to a thumb drive and plugging it into one of the USB ports
on the front.