[HECnet] Connecting an HP Itanium BL860c to HECNET... without ethernet

cyb 2600 cyb2600 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 11 07:13:11 PST 2021

Yes, there are three mezzanine connectors, they use a proprietary socket as
well. Someone backwards engineered the pinout and was able to wire up a
PCIe Ethernet controller on an x64 Proliant blade. I bought a PCIe Ethernet
card compatible with Itanium OpenVMs and wired up one PCIe channel and the
control signals, but I couldn’t get it to work. The connector is really
tiny and it’s definitely possible I made a soldering mistake. I tried 3 or
4 times before giving up.