[HECnet] DECnet-VAX V3.0, VMS V3.5 (Was Re: Oldest VAX/VMS for VAX-11/730 on HECNET) --> what is this?

R. Voorhorst R.Voorhorst at swabhawat.com
Thu Dec 16 01:35:13 PST 2021

Supratim,

The log is somewhat strange: Decnet 3.0 is phase III, but your executor listings gives management version 4.0.0  and routing version 2.0.0 and type nonrouting IV.

Besides, Decnet 3.0 is phase-III and will not support Ethernet, ever (yet you have  Una-0 line/circuit), so there is somewhat wrong in your total decnet configuration or you are trying out something unmentioned yet.

My executor for Decnet 3.0 gives the following:

Node Volatile Characteristics as of 16-DEC-2021 10:15:29

Executor node = 84 (SWBV84)

Identification           = SWBV84 DNET-3.0 R-III (63).84

Management version       = V3.0.0

Incoming timer           = 45

Outgoing timer           = 45

NSP version              = V3.2.0

Maximum links            = 32

Delay factor             = 64

Delay weight             = 2

Inactivity timer         = 60

Retransmit factor        = 10

Routing version          = V1.3.0

Type                     = routing

Routing timer            = 600

Maximum address          = 255

Maximum circuits         = 32

Maximum cost             = 40

Maximum hops             = 9

Maximum visits           = 10

Maximum buffers          = 128

Buffer size              = 576

Default access           = incoming and outgoing

But it will not work because we only have a licemse for another version.

In the id I placed area 63 as memento as it will communicate with phase-IV routers up to address 255 in that area and these nodes will assume node 84 to be present in that area.

I am curious how you got an operating license to make this work or is that what creates the flaws?

Reindert