[HECnet] SIMH TOPS-20 question --> combined tapeset

R. Voorhorst R.Voorhorst at swabhawat.com
Fri Dec 24 17:09:57 PST 2021

Thomas,

No, he isn't doing bare metal restore but you cannot get this boot tape directly in dumper because the initial files are blocking the savesets.
He only wants to retrieve some files in the savesets.

I tried to skip files from the rewind state to the point just beyond dumper as some images of this tape give bad exe errors in 4.1, but I fail to pinpoint the start of the savesets.
At the spot of dumper, the tape gives ?bad .exe file format and skipping files beyond does not work either, the tape looks damaged?
Also restoring to a new initialized disk from mtboot itself does not work either at the moment as dumper cannot be started from the tape.
To be continued.

Reindert