[HECnet] SIMH TOPS-20 question --> recipe for handling Tops20 install tapes --> MTBOOT --> create new PS: structure

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 14:11:02 PST 2021

dir mta0: would only work for either a Tops-20 or ANSI labeled tape with
volume recognition on.  You're not doing that by assigning the tape
drive directly.

But they're probably not labeled; I don't recall that DEC shipped this way.

If you let me know what tapes you're looking at, I can have a look and
give you some pointers or tips.

Basically, you're going to need to make a minor change in the
SYSTEM:CONFIG.CMD file and add a stanza for DECnet.  The config file is
monitor ver specific, so it would look something like SYSTEM:4-1-CONFIG.CMD.

Everything else would go into the SYSTEM:CMD file which is what is
(usually) parsed by OPR.  This would have the NCP commands which Orion
would be sent to the NICE process. DECNET-20_V2.1_2020_7-20-82 has the
necessary executables, as I recall.

Version for DECnet Phase II may predate an integration with Orion, but I
don't think so.