[HECnet] DECnet-10 doesn't work past Nov 9 2021?

Tony Nicholson tony.nicholson at computer.org
Fri Jan 1 13:50:53 PST 2021

On Sat, Jan 2, 2021 at 6:58 AM Paul Koning <paulkoning at comcast.net> wrote:

> [snip]
>

> > Hmm. 10.1A, which was done by Mentec somewhere close to the end of the
> 90s should probably have some fixes/improvements. Unfortunately, I do not
> have the sources, and I cannot even find any release notes for it...
>
> RSTS itself was made Y2K compliant.  The issue is code in the DECnet kit,
> that's separate and I don't know that it was fixed.  The same goes for
> other random bits; for example the RT-11 based assembler shows wrong dates
> in the listing page header.
>
> >> Recently I repaired the event logging code to fix this, and since I
> knew of the Nov '21 problem I changed it to use unsigned 16 bit values.  So
> it should be like RSX, good until 2065.  You can find the fixed version in
> https://github.com/pkoning2/decstuff in the "decnete" subdirecty.
> >
> > Excellent!
> > And we really should try and put a comprehensive page together with
> RSTS/E patches and fixes...
> > (And I really should do that for RSX as well...)
>
>         paul

I've put up a scanned copy of the RSTS/E Cover Letter for V10.1A on GitHub
at

https://github.com/agn453/RSTS-E/blob/master/docs/AV-RK36A-TE-RSTS_E-V10.1A_Cover_Letter_Year_2000_Update_1999.pdf

It details changes to the RT11 run-time system (including the support of
the .DATE4
system call) and updates to the RT-11 MACRO, CREF, LIBR and LINK utilities;
as
well as updates to EDT, error display and ANSI tape handling.

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of the update tape - but you'll also find
my fixes to
the RT-11 file interchange program (FIT) for the updated RT-11 date format
and other
references to updates (including pointing to Paul's GitHub site) at

https://github.com/agn453/RSTS-E

Some of the updates can be grabbed from my RSTS/E V10.1 HECnet node
from the default DECnet account on DINGO:: and other places referenced by
the
FILES.TXT description file.

Since the RSTS/E V10.1 source kits are on Bitsavers - maybe it's time we
looked at
re-implementing the Mentac updates (unless one of us has a copy of the
update tape).

Tony

--
Tony Nicholson <tony.nicholson at computer.org>