[HECnet] Thousands of DECnet errors on Tops-20

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Jan 11 17:39:55 PST 2021

I know some DECnet implementations make that distinction, but not all do.  RSTS just has a datalink buffer size and derives the other numbers from that.  PyDECnet does too, but there the size is (currently) hardcoded at 576 for point to point and 591 for Ethernet.  The 576 was taken from the VMS standard size as I remember it (on the DEC engineering network).

As I said, I could add a circuit parameter to use a different size.  Depending on the configuration that can create packet loss due to oversized packets being discarded in transit.

On the earlier question how this can be happening suddenly: it isn't area routing messages that are too large, that's not possible because they can only contain 63 entries (one per area), each entry being 2 bytes.  But the L2 messages will be large in the case of the periodic messages, since those report every address in the area so typically there will be 1024 entries.  That's too much, of course, so the L1 routing message is sent in several parts, but each part is normally made as  big as the datalink buffer size permits.  So given the PyDECnet setting of 591 for Ethernet, an L1 routing message can be up to that size.  If the recipient has 576 as its buffer size that's not going to work.

	paul