[HECnet] Thousands of DECnet errors on Tops-20

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Jan 18 09:39:35 PST 2021

No, 1478 doesn't make any sense.

Looking at my code, I use a local buffer size on Ethernet of 591.  But then I track what buffer sizes are reported by the router neighbors in their hello messages, and limit the routing message size to the smallest of all these numbers.

Then I noticed I subtract 16 from that when calculating the size of the update messages.  Why that is I don't remember.

So in any case, 1478 should never be a routing protocol message size coming out of PyDECnet.

I'd like to see messages traces.  A trace level log from A2RTR would do the job.  Somthing is very strange here.

	paul