[HECnet] Thousands of DECnet errors on Tops-20

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jan 20 14:54:52 PST 2021

Hey, speaking of this...

I decided to go and check how RSX actually works. And that have led to
some interesting observations on my side.

1. RSX actually do respect the maximum data layer block size the other
end sends in its init message. So even if I have a large size defined in
RSX, it should be working correct against another end with a smaller
block size.

2. With a block size of 576 (either local or remote), the actual packets
being sent are 578 bytes. Seems there is a 2 byte checksum that is in
addition to the actual payload. I found this a bit surprising, but it
seems this might be very intentional. So I'm trying to see if this also
is true for other systems. If someone else can do some checking that
would also be interesting.

3. VMS V5.4 seem to not be happy at all if the other end declares a
largee maximum data layer block size that the local one. This is the
problem I had when talking to a VAX at Peter, which is running V5.4. I
have no idea if that problems is still there in V7...

It would be really interesting to have a Multinet VMS machine setup in
the same area as me, with a link to RSX, so I could do some more testing...

   Johnny