[HECnet] No connectivity to arsgea 4

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Jan 22 09:15:20 PST 2021

   Sigh, yes, we all know of exceptions.  But even then, I doubt it can
be proven that those PDP-11 systems in production since the early 80s
have never had components replaced.

   Not everything is built to DEC standards.  That said, all my life
I've been replacing chips, diodes, transistors, capacitors, and
sometimes even resistors in DEC gear.  It does happen, and it's not
uncommon.

   The regulator bricks in the H742/H7420 power supplies tend to blow
Zener diodes.  That's fresh in my mind because we just lost another one
at the museum recently.  Those are failing with such frequency now that
I've purchased stocks of the components that tend to fail. (we have a
lot of those at the museum)  And those ARE built to DEC standards.

   Speaking of not being built to DEC standards, I've got a Heathkit H8
on the bench right now, I'm repairing it for a new exhibit at the
museum.  Four failed (non-moving!) ICs replaced so far, it's very nearly
done.

             -Dave