[HECnet] No connectivity to arsgea 4

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 08:54:40 PST 2021

Well, as a matter of fact, I myself told myself this, based on my
anecdotal experience of 45 years in the field.  Since it's an anecdotal
observation, it can't be taken as scientific.  Moreover, your point is,
of course, correct.  And as soon as I sent the below, I wanted to
qualify it both in terms of manufacturing purpose and duty cycle.

Even with moving parts, 'professional' equipment will typically last
longer than consumer.  I have a highly venerable IBM X8668 server from
about 2000 that is fine, yet it has moving parts; a six drive RAID 5 and
the fans.  Those drives have never broken; I think we've had to blow out
a fan.

However, I should qualify this with the fact that the unit was almost
never shut off ever for over 12 years and was on a triply redundant
conditioned power supply during all that time.  So, no power up flexing,
Etc.  As a matter of fact, any machine that I care about here is on a
conditioned power supply (at least an APC Smart UPS).  My remark might
have been better put in that context; the power up surge flexing is what
eventually will do anything in.

To be fair, you're not the first person who has retorted to me about my
squatness with regards to electronics, my brother (who does the hardware
support) being very high on that particular list.  I'm quite happy
(often delighted) to blithely reply, "Yeah...  They don't do much
without me programming them, do they?"