[HECnet] No connectivity to arsgea 4

David Moylan djm at wiz.net.au
Sat Jan 23 15:40:12 PST 2021

Reminds me a little of the hardware development of the BBC Micro. The original design used an NS 81LS95 multiplexer for the memory, and for reasons that nobody could explain, only the NS component worked in their design - the same component from other vendors failed.

The core reason was due to the bus speed and how the original infrastructure design was done, but the choice of many components was critical to the stability of the machine.

I'm not implying NS is better - just saying that it's interesting to compare stability and long term failure rates in the field and how much they can vary.

Cheers, Wiz!!