[HECnet] Is 00000A a valid DECnet node name?

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 14:36:31 PDT 2021

Thanks!!

Tops-20 does case folding also, although it's not be a matter of taste.
The monitor database is a hash table based on SIXBIT, which (of course)
does not have any lower case.  Makes node name comparison pretty quick:
a single instruction.  Tops-10 does case-folding also; they share DECnet
code in a number of cases.

SETND2 doesn't use hash tables but rather sorted tables.  The node names
are kept in a TBLUK% format table (in ASCII) so that they can be managed
with TBADD% and TBDEL% and searched with TBLUK%.  The real value is you
can then parse for them directly with COMND% and get escape recognition
and completion; this helps when trying to understand certain bugs, but
it is slower.

There is a separate list sorted by address, so look ups (I.E., binary
searches) can be done.