[HECnet] Old protocols in new ones

John Forecast john at forecast.name
Sun Mar 28 17:41:33 PDT 2021

> On Mar 28, 2021, at 4:40 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>

> On 2021-03-28 22:10, Paul Koning wrote:
>>> On Mar 28, 2021, at 3:33 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

>>> And at least in RSX, there is no generic "point-to-point" type of link.
>>> The types that exist are:
>>> . DDCMP
>>> . Bisync
>>> . SDLC/ADCCP/HDLC
>>> . X.25
>>> . Ethernet
>>> . Hardware protocol
>>>
>>> Where hardware is a bit like just saying that the hardware does something, and it's good enough. No software required, and it will work.
>>> But all except ethernet are more or less point-to-point. But DDCMP can also be used for multidrop connections. The others would imply point-to-point, but will have possibly have different other software layers added to handle the specifics of that link protocol.
>> It's certainly possible to define any number of data link types, with a wide variety of services.  Some are useable with DECnet, others are not.
>
> That list was pulled out from the actual DECnet/RSX sources. It's not any arbitrary, or generic description of DECnet or links, but trying to tell you what is in RSX.
>
>> For point to point, DDCMP and X.25 are both DNA standard and work.  Among the others you mentioned, I would think that Bisync and SDLC/HDCL/ADCCP would work since they have comparable semantics.  "Hardware" does not appear to meet the stated requirements, not unless it has some sort of control wires like the modem control signals of RS-232 to deliver the "restart detection" requirement.
>
> As I mentioned. It basically just assumes the hardware does something. Basically, DECnet/RSX don't have a clue, and do not get involved, leaving it all to some hardware.
> There are no specific details that can be deduced further for that one. But it is one of the possible values to assign to a line type.

That might have been used for PCL11-B support which was added in the Phase III RSX product. It was a parallel TDM bus (at 1 Mb/s I think) connecting up to 16 systems. For DECnet, each node appeared as the master of a multipoint link with up to 15 tributaries. There was a full mesh of logical point-to-point connections between all nodes. Like the DMC-11, it plugged into the system at the Data Link Control layer.

Although I’ve never seen it mentioned, DEC did build a prototype unibus ethernet controller prior to the DEUNA. It had 1 transmit and 1 receive buff on the board and transfers were handled by copying data through an I/O page address, sort of like some of the early 3Com PC adapters. Hardware engineering used it for debugging the H4000 transceiver and only about a dozen were built. I got DECnet-RSX Phase III up and running on this hardware using a similar addressing scheme to the PCL11-B.

  John.