[HECnet] TOPS-10 D-Day, DECnet failure on November 9th is less than six days away

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 14:13:07 PDT 2021

Gerry,

Boy thanks for that response!!  You sure did knock some dust out of my mind!

I have seen part of this before; it's modifying the Tops-10 idle loop to
notify the KLH10 micro-engine that there are no jobs that want to run.
The modification is roughly equivalent to what was done to Tops-20.
However, it should not be assumed that this is The Thing To Do on simh
or other PDP-10's.

As I recall, simh does /not/ implement the Idler device.  I believe Bob
Supnick's position was something along the lines of don't code to
hardware which never existed and that the same effect of not loading the
host could be achieved by snooping the PC.

MRC didn't agree at all and made some rather interesting arguments that
KLH10 (and simh, for that matter), should be seen as legitimate PDP-10
implementations.  MRC being MRC, he generalized the Idler to provide
additional functionality which was not normally seen on a KL, a switch
register and console lights.  Parts of the monitor were changed to be
able to communicate status to Bob Armstrong's PANDA display.

I don't see why device address 700 would be any more or less risky than
740.  As long is nothing else is sitting on the address, you're fine
from what I can remember.

PS: Hey, you forgot TECO...