[HECnet] DECnet/Python --> Tops20 V4.1

R. Voorhorst R.Voorhorst at swabhawat.com
Sat Nov 6 01:52:00 PDT 2021

@Thomas & @Paul

Paul helped me in the past with some Rsts Decnet-III stuff and we got that working with Dmc/Dmr, so we got a functioning phase-III router from that and at a point I also introduced the Tops20 V4.1 Decnet problems; I think he got that Simh image from me  for testing, so if one is interested I can provide a Tops20 V4.1 Decnet image.

Problem there was, that it only communicates with other Tops20 4.1 Decnet but notcontrary to expectations with phase-III. This was not supposed to be a working setup as the KS10 was meant to connect with the Kmc/Dup line to  a DN20/200 Pdp11 based network box to join Decnet. These boxes ran Decnet-III on a Rsx11M V3.1 platform and the software load image was generated and built on Tops20 (or Tops10 probably as well) but should be booted from a KL10 based system. As this software was from link libraries, source code was missing.

Simh Pdp11 could be configured to run the network parallel ANF10 without problems, but with some tricks activating the built Decnet image – after all it is RSX11S bootable within the Rsx11M 3.1 environment - on a suitable configured Simh Pdp11 sim, it stops somewhere in the Decnet initialization phase. Too difficult to debug that at the time.

So Tops20 V4.1 Decnet is quite useless as it looks more than Phase-II with enhancements that stops it working with proper phase-III.

It is still a problem to be solved sometime…

Best regards,

Reindert