[HECnet] Is this the most up to date version of DECnet OS numbers?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Nov 7 03:17:07 PST 2021

Thomas, I'm not sure where you got that list from.

It seems slightly mismatching what I can find. Looking at the NRT code
in RSX (which uses object 23, and is shared by code in RSX for
connecting to both RSTS/E, VMS and Tops-20), I find this:

1  RT-11
2  RSTS/E
3  RSX-11S
4  RSX-11M
5  RSX-11D
6  IAS
7  VMS

Those are the documented values for the configuration message that I can
find.

However, extrapolating from this, in NFT/FAL, there is a much more
extensive list, which seems to align with this list, which contains:

8  TOPS-20
9  Tops-10
10 RTS-8
11 OS/8
12 RSX-11M-PLUS
13 COPOS/11 (TOPS-20 frontend)
14 P/OS
15 VAXELN
16 CP/M
17 MS-DOS
18 Ultrix-32
19 Ultrix-11
20 DTF/MVS
25 Windows NT
26 Linux

Now, Linux is a value I believe I added just based on observation, so
it's much less official. But I think all the other ones are ones DEC did
assign. Unfortunately, I think Windows NT was also added by me, based on
observation of Pathworks. So I do not know what the values between 20
and 25 could/should be.

But maybe this helps some anyway?

   Johnny