[HECnet] TOPS-10 D-Day, DECnet failure on November 9th is less than six days away

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Sun Nov 7 07:11:03 PST 2021

> On Nov 7, 2021, at 10:01 AM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
>
> On 11/7/21 5:27 AM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> Anyway, Magica was up and running for about 6h yesterday. A real 11/70 might outnoise an 11/780. :-D
>
>  We have a PDP-11/70 and a VAX-11/780 in adjacent rows at the museum. The 11/780 is considerably louder.  I will measure this for quantitative numbers the next time I'm over there.

I remember the same from about 40 years ago.  The RSTS/E development lab had a large 11/70 ("the ARK" because it had two of almost every peripheral RSTS supported).  Right next to it was a pretty large VAX-11/780.  It was a whole lot noisier than even that very large 11/70.

In fact, there was an internal joke that the cooling blowers in the 780 were designed to push the machine away from walls, to ensure field service access clearance to the machine.  :-)

	paul