[HECnet] TOPS-10 D-Day, DECnet failure on November 9th is less than six days away

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Nov 7 12:26:43 PST 2021

On 2021-11-07 16:01, Dave McGuire wrote:

>>> [/me drools jealously]
>>>
>>> :)
>>
>> /me looks at the 8650 and thinks "today?". :-)
>
>    "Doooo eet, mang!"

We will turn it on one last time before we move things out. But not sure
exactly when right now...

>> Anyway, Magica was up and running for about 6h yesterday. A real 11/70
>> might outnoise an 11/780. :-D
>
>    We have a PDP-11/70 and a VAX-11/780 in adjacent rows at the museum.
> The 11/780 is considerably louder.  I will measure this for quantitative
> numbers the next time I'm over there.

I suspect there might be a difference if you have an old style 11/70 in
two 19" cabinets or the corporate cab one. Not sure which would be
loudest though. Update have both, but we've never had them running side
by side.

Magica is nowadays in a corporate cab.

And Magica is soon going to be disconnected and moved as well. I expect
I need to make a few decisions in the next few days, and then send some
information to this list on how HECnet is going to handle this...