[HECnet] Is this the most up to date version of DECnet OS numbers?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Nov 7 12:37:03 PST 2021

On 2021-11-07 18:06, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>> I think DECnet/8 is for RTS-8, but there never was one for OS-8.
>
>    Yes, the DECnet-8 was for RTS although you could run OS/8 as a task under
> RTS (so maybe those two count as the same).  In any case AFAIK there was
> never any NFT or FAL or remote terminal or NCP/NML or anything else like
> that implemented for DECnet/8.  It was more of a toolkit kind of thing where
> you could write your own RTS program to make a DECnet connection to another
> node.  What you sent over that connection was your problem.

Right. It was/is slightly more than a toolkit. It does have a couple of
processes which deals with circuits and executor management. And I think
there is TLK/LSN so you can communicate. But beyond that, you were on
your own.

And no, OS/8 under RTS-8 don't allow them to be counted as one. :-)

>    Never heard of DECnet for CP/M although there certainly was one for MSDOS.
> Linux is interesting, although I doubt that was put there by DEC.  Probably
> somebody added it later.

Linux was definitely defined post-DEC. I simply just talked with a Linux
FAL from RSX and checked what value it put in the OS field, and added
that to my list from there.

>    And what the heck is COPOS/11??  I see that is says TOPS-20 front end, but
> I thought TOPS20 used the same RSX20F as TOPS10.

I don't think it's the same as the RSX20F frontend. I have no idea what
it is, but it's in the source files for the RSX DECnet code. Sounds like
some oddball thing that existed somewhere. CSS thing maybe?

>    And DTF/MVS?  Is that the IBM OS MVS?

I almost suspect it might be, but again, no real clue. All I can say is
that this is what is in the RSX sources.