[HECnet] Is this the most up to date version of DECnet OS numbers?

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 18:27:21 PST 2021

There are a lot of features that I'd to lift from other NFT's and FAL's.

The problem is trying to do the modifications within the existing
architecture.  They've needed a number of modifications to fix bugs,
even to get them up to the point of stability, let alone have the
functionality that I've admired in the other implementations.  The FAL
source went from 25K to 44K of source for stability and debugging fixes,
but also required an additional module of about 98K for the enhancements
(such as ANONYMOUS).

NFT is in fact what I'm in the middle of trying to fix, but that source
is more difficult to work with, largely because it has a parser whereas
FAL didn't have one until I wrote it.

But I don't really like criticizing any of this, even when it does get
me peeved.  Development looks like it was stopped quite abruptly.  It's
almost as if the programmers were yanked away from their keyboards,
which I'm sure at least a few did not appreciate.

On 11/7/21 9:14 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> Hey. Thanks for those additions. Any machines on HECnet I can check
> against?
>
> NFT under RSX have this wonderful functionality that seems to be
> missing in all other implementations:
>
> .nft venti2::/id
> NFT -- Version V9.0
> Local NFARs V8   DAP V7.1 Buffer size=  2064. OS=RSX-11M+ FS=FCS-11
> DC=Yes
> Remote FAL  V2   DAP V5.6 Buffer size=  4096. OS=TOPS-20 FS=TOPS-20
> DC=Yes
>
>   Johnny
>
> On 2021-11-08 03:04, John Forecast wrote:
>>
>>> On Nov 7, 2021, at 6:17 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thomas, I'm not sure where you got that list from.
>>>
>>> It seems slightly mismatching what I can find. Looking at the NRT
>>> code in RSX (which uses object 23, and is shared by code in RSX for
>>> connecting to both RSTS/E, VMS and Tops-20), I find this:
>>>
>>> 1  RT-11
>>> 2  RSTS/E
>>> 3  RSX-11S
>>> 4  RSX-11M
>>> 5  RSX-11D
>>> 6  IAS
>>> 7  VMS
>>>

>>> Those are the documented values for the configuration message that I
>>> can find.
>>>
>>> However, extrapolating from this, in NFT/FAL, there is a much more
>>> extensive list, which seems to align with this list, which contains:
>>>
>>> 8  TOPS-20
>>> 9  Tops-10
>>> 10 RTS-8
>>> 11 OS/8