[HECnet] "IP protocols on DECnet'

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Nov 8 06:27:44 PST 2021

> On Nov 7, 2021, at 9:54 PM, Peter Lothberg <roll at stupi.com> wrote:
>
> In  the "old days" we did SMTP over DECnet, has anyone considered doing Telnet, FTP, HTTP etc over
> DECnet transport?

I've thought about http over DECnet.  That would be really easy.  The obvious way to deal with any TCP-based protocol is just to send the byte streams over DECnet messages, in the same fashion as DECnet/Ultrix streaming mode DECnet sockets do.  (Precisely how that works I don't remember.)  In the case of HTTP, a natural simplification would be to send the entire header, in both directions, as a single message, with any data following in one or more additional messages.

The DECnet object number for HTTP should be 80, obviously.  :-)

	paul