[HECnet] "IP protocols on DECnet'

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Nov 8 08:05:22 PST 2021

> On Nov 8, 2021, at 10:56 AM, Robert Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:
>
> >In  the "old days" we did SMTP over DECnet, has anyone considered doing Telnet, FTP, HTTP etc over
> >DECnet transport?
>
>   FWIW, VMS has always had X (windows) over DECnet “out of the box”, at least as long as there has been DECwindows.  It’s even officially supported by DEC…

Stranger still, I know of an (unsupported) RSTS client application that runs X, over DECnet: the "SDA" interactive crash dump analyzer.  Look in a late version RSTS kit, the "unsupported" package, source file SDA.FTH (that's Forth code).  Kevin Herbert did that magic, a couple of years after I did the original SDA.

	paul