[HECnet] "IP protocols on DECnet'

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 08:36:22 PST 2021

At least for Tops-20, you have some sort of control on this because of
two JSYi, SOUT% (write a string) and SOUTR% (write a string record).
This difference was originally largely for magnetic tape for writing a
'record' (my memory of what that meant is hazy).  It found its way into
DECnet and almost into TCP/IP.

On DECnet you can block on records, using a SINR% to read a SOUTR%,
which means you don't have to specify a length on read, which can speed
certain things up. VIKING does this.  I think DAP might use it to mark
end of stream.  The point is that a DECnet SINR% knows that a SOUTR% was
used.  You can really win knowing this kind of meta data.

On TCP/IP SOUTR% sets PSH (push the existing data) which may get
swallowed along the way, so it's not clear that a SINR% would wake up at
the right point.  I can't remember if I did tests on this.