[HECnet] "IP protocols on DECnet'

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 10:36:08 PST 2021

That is a very fascinating piece of history, thanks for writing that
up!  I learned a bit.

One hesitates to fully agree with 'obvious', although the observation is
clearly true for the situation.

On the other hand, in other markets the answer was, in fact, felt to be
quite obvious.  In academic settings, some significant portion switched
from Tops-20 to Unix, some running on Ultrix on VAX hardware, some going
straight to Sun.  My understanding is that in both cases, TCP/IP was a
bundled part of the product which you didn't pay extra for.  That was
the reality on the floor, whereas it wasn't understood what the cost
model was going to be for OSI.

There was a percentage that went to VMS, but this was sometimes a harder
sell than Ultrix.  I heard of a particularly livid Tops-20 system
manager respond to a DEC salesman assurance of forthcoming features
with, "You're asking us to jump out the window on the promise that you
will have the net ready before we hit the ground"

In summary, picking free TCP/IP here and now over OSI maybe when and
maybe cost was an obvious decision where it was perceived to exist.