[HECnet] "IP protocols on DECnet'

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Mon Nov 8 11:31:18 PST 2021

Algol 60 and Algol 68 are very different languages.  Algol 60 is very simple, and was implemented quite widely.  There is a PDP-11 version that apparently was derived from a PDP-8 implementation.  And the first Algol 60 compiler -- a FULL language implementation -- ran in just 4k 27-bit words (1961, Electrologica X1, by Dijkstra and Zonneveld).

Algol-68 adds structures (but not methods), and a bunch of other stuff.  It's a much harder language.  Lots of people did subset implementations; I know of a PDP-11 compiler (done by Carnegie-Mellon, no sign that it has been preserved).  A few were pretty complete; CDC actually had one as a commercial product for the 6000 mainframes, implemented by their Dutch office, most likely at the urging of CWI in Amsterdam.

It has been said that C++ was inspired by Algol-68.  If so, the lessons didn't come across well, no more than the Algol-60 lessons came across to the C designers.  And I wonder if it helped inspire Python.

Algol 68 does not have call by name.  But if you really want the equivalent you can pass a function as an argument.

	paul