[HECnet] "IP protocols on DECnet'

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Nov 8 14:26:58 PST 2021

On 2021-11-08 16:56, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>>In  the "old days" we did SMTP over DECnet, has anyone considered doing
> Telnet, FTP, HTTP etc over
>
>>DECnet transport?
>
>    FWIW, VMS has always had X (windows) over DECnet “out of the box”, at
> least as long as there has been DECwindows.  It’s even officially
> supported by DEC…

X using DECnet as a transport was defined from day 0, since DEC was
heavily involved in the X development, and wanted it in the DEC
environment as well.

I've never looked into it, but I wonder how similar the protocol is over
TCP compared to DECnet. It might be more or less identical, but it could
also have some differences...