[HECnet] "IP protocols on DECnet'

John Forecast john at forecast.name
Mon Nov 8 14:48:26 PST 2021

> On Nov 8, 2021, at 5:18 PM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>
> On 2021-11-08 16:32, Paul Koning wrote:

>>> Streaming mode DECnet sockets would be interesting to learn something about.
>>> Because otherwise the problem is really that DECnet is packet based, and not byte based like TCP. So there is potentially some problems with adapting TCP protocols for DECnet.
>> Not really.  Stream based protocols are protocols that do not rely on message boundaries -- more precisely, do not rely on boundaries being marked by lower layers.  If you have a transport that does report message boundaries, and you want to carry a stream protocol, the simple answer is to ignore those boundaries.
>
> Well. The question here becomes:
> Is there any relevance you want to attach to the packets as such, or do you actually intend it to be stream based and then using CR+LF as the termination of lines? Which also means you need to implement another layer in all the software to reformat the data into that stream, and process a line at the time from that.
>
> And of course, for protocols implementing the network virtual terminal, you then want to escape 0xff, in order to implement all the other functions that might be implied. And padding of standalone CRs.
>
> And how much should you buffer before you actually should send it?
> And for how long?
>
>> The reason I'm interested in how Ultrix did streaming sockets is because of the question "when do you send the message".  That's actually a question with TCP as well, which is why it has a "no delay" option.  The trivial answer is "for each send() call to the socket, send that data as a complete NSP message".  That would obviously work; the only question is whether something fancier is a useful optimization.

That’s basically what DECnet-Ultrix did although I seem to remember that if there is data waiting for initial transmiission we would merge the new data in with the old. DECnet-Ultrix was the first network implementation to make use of SOCK_SEQPACKET. There was crash causing bug whenever a read was issued on such a socket - the problem was a zero-day bug in the original BSD socket implementation

> You might want to definitely do something smart here sometime. But it's not trivial how you want to do that.
>
>> Actually, there might be one other question.  Consider HTTP: if the server wants to send a file (say, a .jpg image) can it send the entire file as a single NSP message?  From the DECnet architecture point of view, sure.  Do DECnet implementations put some limit on the length of an NSP message?  I don't know, except for RSTS which doesn't simply because it leaves segmentation and reassembly to the application.
>
> There are definitely limits here.
>
> The problem is that in DECnet, these limits are not global. Consider RSX. You can send any size you want (well, within limits - DECnet I/O in RSX is limited to max 8128 bytes). However, the receiver must setup a receive that is large enough to receive the whole message, or else parts are lost. (Remember the term "data overrun"?)
>
> Remember - DECnet is packet based. Not stream based. It have more implications.
>
> Data not received in one call, because the packet was too big are not received in the next call. They are lost.

At the time when DECnet-Ultrix was written, this was indeed the case. Newer versions os SOCK_SEQPACKET (e.g. Linux) include support for MSG_TRUNC and MSG_EOR so that an application can use a small buffer, overflow data will not be discarded and the user will be told that truncation has occurred.

  John.