[HECnet] RSTS/E started emitting "?EVTLOG (BLDNIC) -- %Integer error" messages

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 14:27:43 PST 2021

Hmm, if I'm understanding you correctly, then I'm not sure I would agree
with you, 100%.  Recall the binary file I build?  This is dumped
/directly/ into the monitor on reboot, there is no re-parse of the .T20
file; that only ever gets looked at precisely once.

21:05:28 USER   SETNODE>*Save /NO-ACCESS /RESTRICTED
21:05:28 USER
21:05:28 USER   [Fork SETND2 opening ? for writing restricted]
21:05:28 USER   [Saving to binary file: *TOMMYT:<SYSTEM>NODE-DATA.BIN.1
*;PROCESS-ONLY-JFN:2 ;RD ;WR ;BSZ:36 ]

This resulting .BIN file is ⅓ the size of the .T20 file and goes into
the monitor with a single NODE% JSYS, so there is only a single context
switch.  The monitor does some validation of the entries before putting
them into the hash table.  Naturally, I can also read the binary file
and reconstruct the text file:

SETNODE>GET (binary node definition file)
*SYSTEM:NODE-DATA.BIN*/no-ACCESS /pagE-MAP /unrESTRICTED-READ /prelOAD
Mapped 4 pages, 1830 Words, 915 Nodes.
SETNODE>RECONSTRUCT (node keyword tables from binary table) /silENT
[Closed log file: NUL:]

I think the only faster way to do this would be to save the Monitor's
volatile hash table directly to disk and read it back in on reboot.  If
you check it as you read, then you might be back down to the .BIN file
input speeds, which are clearly faster than doing the parse of the .T20
file; a lot faster. If you don't check then you might not be able to
boot if it gets funny data in it.  Or maybe you could do minimal checking.

However, I do think that the idea of a seperate volatile and permanent
database is a very good idea.  You could do that with my SETNODE
rewrite, but /only/ if /nothing/ else was touching either node store
(like a remote NCP).  I think the other implementations are probably far
cleaner in this regard.