[HECnet] Another TOPS-10 DECnet problem

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Nov 11 15:49:23 PST 2021

RSX-11M-PLUS can have up to 256 terminals. However, I sortof doubt much
useful stuff would happen if you had that many users running interactively.

I think it was more used for systems where you had some clever programs
running that controlled lots of terminals.

But PDP-11 systems were/are pretty capable, considering some of the
limitations... And they are still being used in some places, which I
find pretty nice. And of course, I continue whack at them when I get a
chance. The combination of TCP/IP, web servers, and stuff like
Datatrieve makes it look almost like some modern stack of tools. I'm
having blast nearly every day. I just wish I could locate the sources of
the layered products...

MRC vs. BAH was sometimes interesting. I usually did side with MRC in
those discussions, but I tried to mostly keep out of it, since PDP-10
isn't my forte. But it was often somewhat interesting to read and
follow, I thought. MRC never quit standing up for TOPS-20. :-)

   Johnny

On 2021-11-12 00:38, Thomas DeBellis wrote:
> Believe me, a large number of us in the systems group were really sorry
> to retire our 11/60 (or 11/50? 55?) RSTS system.  We just thought it was
> so neat.  And we missed it for years.  The assembler was a little
> strange for us, but definitely easier for us to hack than PDP-8 (which
> had its own advocates) or IBM 370 (which had truly maniacal devotees)
> The architecture had some very interesting ideas.
>
> I was also one of the few that would move between DEC and IBM, which is
> quite a paradigm shift if you've ever had to stare a 3270 in the face
> after EMACS.
>
> My students always seem to ask me which OS I prefer or what language is
> the best, my response is always the same, "I like the OS that I get paid
> to use and the language I get paid to program in".  One has to earn a
> living...
>
> I honestly don't know where those two got their stamina from...

> On 11/11/21 6:26 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> And where I'm from we were regularly running 40 people on one 11/70
>> with RSTS/E, and on bad days we were above 60. But then it was
>> miserably slow...
>>
>> And yes, I have plenty of memories of the mails between MRC and BAH. :-)
>>
>>   Johnny
>>
>> On 2021-11-11 23:48, Thomas DeBellis wrote:
>>> Oh, that old cat fight?  Meow!!  I'm walking away from it; I don't
>>> know how much email got spewed between MRC and BAH about it.  I don't
>>> think either side ever got the point that you are not comparing
>>> apples to apples.
>>>
>>> Having looked at both schedulers, I don't immediately see that either
>>> was more efficient than the other.  There clearly was cross
>>> fertilization in a number of areas.
>>>
>>> Recall that Tops-20 has processes and that a job may have a large
>>> number of processes.  The number of jobs then is not going to be a
>>> valid comparison.  For example, let's take a look at Galaxy on
>>> Tops-10, which occupies 10 job slots:
>>>
>>> Job    Who     Line#    What Size(P) State   Run Time
>>>
>>>  1    [OPR]     DET     NEBULA  26+40   HB 0
>>>  3    [OPR]      0      QUEUE   9+38    ^C 1
>>>       [OPR]     DET     QUASAR  40+40   SL 1
>>>  9    [OPR]     DET     PULSAR  5+40    HB SW 0
>>> 10    [OPR]     DET     ORION   109+40  SL 0
>>> 11    [OPR]     DET     NML     15+18   HB 3
>>> 13    [OPR]     DET     CDRIVE  30+40   HB 0