[HECnet] ANF10 network

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 09:16:29 PST 2021

I'm pretty sure that ANF10 predates DECnet.  The 1973 third addition of
the Assembly Language Handbook (the orange book) shows the LOCATE UUO
(CALLI 62,) to change a job's logical station and the WHERE UUO (CALLI
63,)  which returns a device's physical location.

My understanding is that this was by using ANF10 or one of its ancestors.

I never heard of DECnet that long ago; not on any 36 bit or 12 bit
system I had access to (didn't have access to a PDP-11)

I /think/ ANF10 will run over Ethernet, which is how you would get
multiple nodes, maybe.

This is so cool; I have wanted to lift the ANF10 code out of Tops-10 and
put it into Tops-20 for eons.

Kudo's to you both.