[HECnet] PyDECnet setup

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Nov 17 09:43:19 PST 2021

On 2021-11-17 18:29, Robert Armstrong wrote:
>> Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>> And I just did a check in RSX. Please, people, do not do this in
>> general. But yes, I could turn off another node by just issuing that
>> command.
>> DECnet and security? Not in the same sentence...
>
>    I think Paul was going to implement some kind of rudimentary access control.  DECnet does have a privileged and a non-privileged password after all.

Not in RSX. That's a system specific thing. Not sure if RSTS/E might
have something like that. After all, RSTS/E and VMS are more similar
most of the time from a user point of view. In RSX there also is no
default DECnet account.

But in RSX, it's all about how you identify yourself, and what the
service requires. With NICE, it looks like this:

.ncp sho kno obj

Known objects summary as of 17-NOV-21 18:25:49

Object  Name    Copies  User     Verification

0               Single  Default  Off
15      TCL...  Single  Default  On
16      LSN$$$  5       Default  Off
17      FAL$$$  8       Login    On
18      HLD...  Single  Default  Off
19      NIC$$$  5       Default  Inspect
23      RMHACP  Single  Default  Off
25      MIR$$$  5       Default  Off
26      EVR$$$  5       Default  Off
27      MAI$$$  5       Default  Off
29      PHO$$$  5       Default  Off
30      DDM$$$  5       Login    On
42      RTH     Single  Default  Off
63      DTR...  Single  Default  Off

NICE is object 19. Verification says "Inspect", which means that users
are checked up, but the information is just forwarded to NICE, who can
do whatever it thinks is appropriate.

FAL and DDM require a valid local user, under which the service will be
running.

Most others do not care... I can't remember what TCL is right now.

>> I wonder if I shouldn't maybe do something about that...
>
>    I wonder if you can turn off VMS DECnet remotely too?  I'm a little afraid to try...

Potentially yes. Try it on some machine which have have access in some
other way than over the network? ;-)