[HECnet] PyDECnet setup

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 08:57:26 PST 2021

Yes, I'm aware of that particular practice, yet one hesitates to call it
a 'standard'.  That being said, I don't think it unreasonable to use
SIGHUP for something that is never going to have carrier dropped on it.
So background 'systems' processes would be an obvious candidate.

'Early' Unix to me means before it got ported off the PDP-7.  I started
using it in about 1978, which I believe was in the first decade of its
public release from AT&T.  In some ways, it was a significantly
different beast than what you see, today. However, I didn't start doing
systems programming on Unix until about 1985 when the plug got pulled on
36 bits, first Ultrix, then Sun.  This was until about 1988.  Maybe we
might call that 'middle' Unix?

Being a 'purist' in Unix is really a pointless exercise.  Vendors and
developers agree on things until they don't agree and when they need
something, it's anybody's guess as to what might get made into an
unofficial standard.  You'd be surprised (or not).

I'm not saying it's a bad idea.  I'm saying a Unix 'standard' is
whatever an unofficial majority thinks it is, which may or may not be
what others think (say POSIX, for example).  You also see a lot of this
in the C library.  Timing functions come to mind.

It's a slippery term and what you think is a standard today may not be
in a decade or two.