[HECnet] Support Update [Was: *** Very important information ***]

Pontus Pihlgren pontus at Update.UU.SE
Mon Nov 22 12:30:08 PST 2021

On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 08:21:15AM -0800, Robert Armstrong wrote:
> >Pontus Pihlgren <pontus at Update.UU.SE> wrote:
> >Thank you, it is very much apprechiated.
>
>   How do you join the Update club?  Is membership limited to Sweden?  What
> do you guys do?  Do you have a museum?

Instruction on how to join can be found here:

https://www.update.uu.se/en/blimedlem/

Payment might be the tricky part, but we have a paypal account, so
contact the board and we will sort it out.

Anyone can join, this has changed recently, it used to be reserved for
students and staff att Uppsala University. We are about 80-100 members
at the moment but the number has been steadily increasing.

What we do? We have the old computers: VAX 8650, PDP-11/70, DECSYSTEM
2060, PDP-12, PDP-8, SUN, NeXT, IBM, SGI and the list goes on. Lots of
peripherals and documentation.

The bigger machines will go in storage for the forseable future but we
hope to revive them and show them off.

In the meantime we will focus on the smaller ones: PDP-11/05, PDP-12,
Symbolics, various micros.

We also try to arrange a lecture every month that we broadcast online.
When we can we exhibit our collection locally or at vintage computer
festivals.

Up until now we have served our FTP, mailing lists, HECnet and other
services. We want to continue doing so but the immediate future is
uncertain, mostly it looks like we are loosing the domain and that the
new space has limited connectivity. But we are working on it :)

So, please join and I hope we can meet in the future, online or
otherwise :)

Regards,
Pontus.