[HECnet] req for assistance: is snmp blocked for some / all ? does it work?

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Nov 30 12:17:04 PST 2021

> On Nov 30, 2021, at 3:14 PM, Robert Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:
>
>> Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:
>> All of that aside, I would actually be more exited if all Cisco boxes
>> went away. It's really annoying to not be able to troubleshoot anything
>> on a Cisco box, when a Cisco box is in the path of something I want to
>> check.
>
>  Ditto on that!  They don't speak NML and you can't talk to them with NCP.  They're not very exciting things to have on a DECnet network...

I think in the early days they were useful and/or necessary for their DECnet over IP tunneling capabilities.  Between DECnet/RSX and DECnet/Python and Robert Jarratt's router, that's clearly far less true now, probably not at all really.

Or to put it differently, if there is any reason why Cisco routers can't be replaced by PyDECnet nodes, I'd like to know what's missing.

	paul