[HECnet] A2RTR downtime

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 12:00:00 PDT 2021

I wouldn't worry about it; I don't use VENTI all that much, either.
…/Except/ when I do…  Then I have to tell you that it has proven to be
positively invaluable and I am very grateful for that!

If this were critical, then I'd think about getting off my butt and
putting up Tops-10 somewhere on one of my home systems.  But that would
blow a lot of time; I haven't done a MONGEN since…well, I honestly can't
remember—it's well over four decades and I never knew that part of it
well to begin with.    Come to think of it, I might have been doing a
ONCE and not a MONGEN.

Actually, having a guest account on other HECnet systems has also proved
invaluable for chasing down arcane Tops-20 issues.  Thanks all!!

I reached out to Lars Brinkhoff concerning my Tops-10 patch and he said
he would distribute wherever it made "sense" to do so.  If I get any
feedback, I will forward it.  Otherwise, let me know if there is any way
I can provide assistance.

Yes, it is a shame about the STOPCODE, but it would appear that the
maintainer had some different ideas in the mid-1980's when this code was
put in about what the usage of Tops-10 would be.  This comment is
illustrative, the first sentence being key:

    _I doubt very much that the date itself has really gone past 2021_.
    Probably someone smashed an AC or the routine to get the time from
    the monitor is returning junk. However, on November 9, 2021, it
    appears that many people will see this problem so prepare your SPR
    for that date.

I think the problem is that Tops-10 didn't have the kind of die-hard
fanatics supporting it (read, MRC) that Tops-10 did, so stuff like this
was caught and fixed years ago.  D36COM has an edit date of 2001 for
this, but since it is from Gorin, it's probably older.

I continue to find Y2K things to clean up, these days mostly in the
listings from various compilers and the remaining CUSP's that MRC didn't
catch.

Another thing I fix are internal time of day comparisons.  This is
stored as an unsigned 36 bit fixed fraction having resolution to about ⅓
of a second, 35 bits bringing you to 27-Sep-2217 20:00:00 EST US, the
full 36 taking you to 7-Aug-2576 19:59:59 EST US.  Since the PDP-10 only
has signed comparisons, all single comparison arithmetic will break in a
mere 195 years.  Fixing that double word signed compares has given me
some more breathing room.  In 554 years, I'm sure I'll have thought of
something else…