[HECnet] Is MIM running?

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 10:06:40 PDT 2021

Yes, NETPTH is part of the PANDA distribution and I had begun looking at
it about 18 months ago before I fell into a couple of deep, dark DECnet
holes, viz:

  * The SETNODE rewrite is done but wants a bit of a write-up for the
    new functionality.
  * The extensive work on FAL and anonymous access is complete and
    documentation is done.
  * A number of patches have been done for DAP, but I have yet to
    implement RENAME.
  * DECnet SMTP remains to be debugged; there is a .PRIOU/.PRIIN
    conflict between it and DEC DDT that is hampering this.
      o I may change XDDT
      o I have yet to see whether IDDT has the same problem
  * A few monitor changes were necessary to support the above
  * A patch was done to keep DECnet from filling up the error log (when
    talking on HECnet)
  * Research on NRT is now down to monitor changes

NETPTH appears to not be fully productized for Tops-20.  Error handling
frequently involves complaining and exiting, whereas I saw that recovery
could be done in certain cases.  It is using SCAN, which, in addition to
occupying program virtual address space, also pulls in PA1050, which
occupies another 28 pages. SCAN makes NETPTH appear kind of clunky for a
Tops-20 user.

Not the end of the world by any means, but I keep making mistakes in it
that wouldn't be happening were it to be fully native Tops-20 and
leverage the SETNODE enhancements which give you node recognition (I.E.,
"?" pick lists, abbreviation and completion).

Still, NETPTH is completely serviceable and to what degree
productization should have happened really is a matter of debate.