[HECnet] DECnet/Python

Paul Koning paulkoning at comcast.net
Tue Oct 26 07:30:04 PDT 2021

> On Oct 26, 2021, at 7:57 AM, <fsword007 at gmail.com> <fsword007 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Folks,
>
> I successfully installed DECnet/Python on Ubuntu 21.10 system and was successfully connected to HECnet.
>
> I have a few questions about DECnet/Python.  I choose that because it support virtual circuits like Multinet over TCP,  etc..
>
> I can’t find any apps (programs) to support DECnet/Python like login, set host, dir, etc.  Only DECnet for Linux has programs.

DECnet/Python is basically a router, not a DECnet application host.  So it has a couple of server implementations -- NICE (NCP response) and loop -- but not clients other than the minimal NCP client used by the HECnet mapper.

I've made various stabs at an external API to allow the writing of appliications, but I haven't produced one I'm satisfied with.  I have some ideas that could work, though, and at some point I should get that going.  If nothing else, a loop client would be good to have.

> Does DECnet for Raspberry Pi work with Ubuntu 21.10 (Linux 5.13 for x86)?

What do you mean by that?  DECnet is DECnet, any implementation should work with any other, provided the relevant application client or server is available and installed.  For example, set host works from DECnet/Linux to RSX, RSTS, VMS, ...

	paul