[HECnet] How long has your 20 been up?

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 10:33:40 PST 2022

Good point, and so I reveal my age and travels.  I picked up GMT during
my visits to England eons ago where the BBC would use the term on BBC 3
LW and International.  Old habit...

I think Tops-20 still prints it as GMT.

If you run the TIMCHK program as a regularly scheduled, self-submitting
batch job (which I do), then this will pull the correct UTC time from
NIST and so that situation is addressed. There is also a lightweight
version of NTP that I have been thinking of porting to the 20.

As an American, one thing that had always impressed my about Tops-20 was
the table driven approach that MRC had come up with to address daylight
savings time.  During the oil crisis and onward, this turned into a bit
of a moving target and Tops-20 handled it years before other operating
systems did.

Of course, you just never know what a congressmen is going to do and I
don't think it impossible that this could turn into another political
football.  it has concerned me that the code, while table driven, is
hardwired into the monitor.  I think a better safer approach would be to
have in a configuration file.

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be too surprised if some uninformed
zealot tried to legislate Julian time.  In the 1800's, one of our state
government legislated the 'exact' value of π\pi, so you never know...