[HECnet] Tops20 uptime..

Thomas DeBellis tommytimesharing at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 11:04:21 PST 2022

That is not too shabby at all!  So let's see, that means you booted on
Thursday, September 9, 2021 at 8:13:49 am, local. Right?  And that works
out to be 19 weeks, two hours, 7 minutes and 53 seconds (assuming I
haven't broken uptime tinkering with this).  VENTI2:: (my other
development 20) has been up for 5106:06:49 or 30 Weeks, 2 Days, 18
Hours, 6 Minutes, 45 Seconds and 675 Milliseconds, which isn't bad as
this is what I run all my fiendish experiments on.

The exclamations after the uptime quantity suggest that you are running
what appears to be a Stanford based EXEC as I do not recall that they
exist in the standard DEC release.  I have a few questions for you, if
you are willing:

 1. Have any Systems Concepts modifications handled the previously
    mentioned 35 bit uptime limit?  In other words, can you still get an
    UP2LNG BUGHLT's?
 2. Are you using queued shutdowns (I.E., the PANDA ACJ)?
 3. What is the maximum virtual address space?  The maximum for a KL is
    32 sections, so I had been wondering.

The problem I have with the PANDA ACJ is that it determines what to
queue and what not to.  That is not unreasonable given that the code
works by hooking HSYS% and there is no interface for the JSYS to specify
whether to queue or not.  The problem is that if you set a downtime to
shutdown before an UP2LNG BUGHLT and subsequently crash before then, the
ACJ will set the same downtime when you reboot, which is probably not
the right thing to do.

So from TOMMYT::, one sees:

    @iNFORMATION downTIME
    Shutdown Time:            Up Again: Reason:
    Fri 18-Feb-2022 12:30:00PM-EST    12:45:00PM-EST         UP2LNG BUGHLT
    @

and from Galaxy:

    OPR>shoW staTUS

    13:53:44        -- System Device Status --

    [...]

    ** Timesharing will cease in 694 hours and 36 minutes*

The unfortunate limitation here is that while Tops-20 Galaxy will
display a shutdown time, there is no code to change it.  You have to
exit and use the EXEC ^Ecease command.  There was some command that an
FE with maintenance capability could issue, but it couldn't have been
through the EXEC, which only allows an enabled WHEEL or OPERATOR to do
that, despite the monitor allowing maintenance.  Since I couldn't
remember that particular program, I changed the PANDA EXEC. Anybody
remember what it might have been?

I think the Tops-10 approach of using Galaxy to handle system shutdowns
is probably superior or could be made to be.

So, fingers still crossed for the 18th...